Aug 6, 2008

thou shall not steal.... except from me

lovely place, isn't it? such a wonderful place is the toll plaza in queretaro, mexico that someone decided to charge their $5.75 toll to my debit card. that's right - some asshole lifted my debit card number from somewhere and used it throughout mexico. imagine my surprise to go to my online account and see that i have 5 charges in the amounts of $115, $5.75, $90, $60 and another for $5.75 (the lovely toll plaza in salamanca, mexico, apparently) pending approval. luckily, as they are all pending (except for the one that had actually been denied for some reason), the amounts will be credited back to my account by tomorrow, hopefully, and if any other charges go through i can simply appeal to my bank and get the funds back.

still, what a pain in the ass. now i have to wait 5-7 days for a new debit card, change any recurring payments i have set up to that card and basically keep a leary eye on my account for fear of being ripped off again.

it was only about 5 or 6 weeks ago that i had money stolen out of my wallet by catering staff at a work event and now someone has gotten my debit card number and had no qualms about turning my hard-earned dollars into pesos for him/herself.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you reported it on time, so the thief can not use it any more

Anonymous said...

Oh no, what a pain! I hope you get everything straightened out and changed. I wonder where in the world they got your debit card number from? Scary.

Anonymous said...

a couple years ago, i had several debits adding up to over $1000 from florida supermarkets. it's a pain in the rear at first, but the bank actually does a pretty good job of resolving the issue for you.

g said...

it appears that even in mexico, you still have that black cloud!!

Unknown said...

The same thing happened to me in June--fuckers opened a Vonage account and then made internet calls to China and South Africa--probably selling my card number. Just the other day USA Today had an article about criminals who stole 41 million credit card numbers by hacking into big chain stores' computers--cost Visa and Mastercard BILLIONS of dollars to cover the losses. The criminals probably won't see much jail time, so I say we tattoo a bar-code to their foreheads with the words, "CHARGE ME FOR THEFT - I STOLE FROM YOU!" in big letters on top of the bar-code. Just a suggestion ;)