Jun 13, 2011

words of a father

june 13 is a bittersweet day for my family, as it is the birthday of my little sister, amber, who lost her battle with cancer at the painfully young age of 7.  my other sister wrote a lovely post over at noble savage and as i sat pondering what or if i should write anything today, i got an email from my dad.  he sent it to a few family members and the subject was "amber's 30th birthday."  i thought it was so nice and heartfelt that i wanted to re-post it here.  thanks, dad. 

"Today would have been Amber’s 30th birthday.  I hope you all will join me in celebrating!  She can’t be here physically with us, but I know her spirit is with us always.  I often wonder what she would look like and what she would be like at 30.  We would have to have a homemade cake from Lyn, and it would probably say something about being “over the hill”!  

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday  to you, no matter how many years, I’ll never get over you!  Hair of gold, smile full of sunshine, always ready with a joke, making sure you knew that she loved everyone. I try very hard to remember the good times we had, but somehow I miss you more, and I get all sad.  I can only try to be a better dad, with your smiles and hugs forever locked in my heart, I want to share that love you taught us all to be glad for every day we have.

There is no promise for tomorrow, please celebrate each and every moment with the ones you love the most.  You see, this is the legacy that Amber left us, love one another, like this is your last day!  The best present we can give her, is our vow to live our lives with that in mind.  I’m a silly old man that doesn’t write well, but I love you all, and hope each day is good for you.  Remember though that the days that bring you the most pain, can make you become the best you can be.  But only if you let your heart not be broken, but full of love for all. Amber, always on my mind. Amber, always in my heart.  Amber, in my very soul!"

1 comment:

Lyn said...

I know you all miss Amber and think of her with love and tears on this day. Your Dad is right though, take not one day for granted and try to live the way you really feel is right for you. Let gladness fill your life, open your heart to the joy and the pain, and lift yourself with the spirit that embodies all that is good. Smile, remember to look for all those little moments, joke, hug, laugh, cry. Tell those you love that you love them. Have no regrets! Do this and you will honor Amber's spirit. Love to you this day and always.