Jan 8, 2007

um, no.

i was in a great mood this afternoon. my all-day meeting wrapped up around 2:00, leaving me with ample time to run errands and do with my afternoon whatever i wanted. the sun was shining, the air was cold and brisk, and i was walking down michigan avenue looking around with that weird appreciation for my city that sometimes strikes me when i stop long enough to let it.

so i'm walking along and heading toward me from the opposite direction is a man, probably 5'10", 250 pounds, in his early - mid 40s. he looks somewhat normal, though not very attractive, does not appear to be homeless or threatening, and probably would have passed by unnoticed had he not decided to try to communicate with me. as he gets closer he starts talking to (at) me. what does he say, you ask? please allow me to share:

dude (turning to talk at me as i attempt to keep walking and avoid him): "i'm single, i have no car, and i have no job! you just won the jackpot, baby!"

me: "um, no." (still walking)

dude: (still turning to talk at me after i'm past him) "oh come on!!"

me: "ew."

because i was actually in a good mood, i did not unleash self on him, but it did sort of make me want to stop and ask him why he would stop a girl in the middle of michigan avenue and announce that he is jobless, carless, and, luckily, he's single. what kind of reaction does a person expect from that kind of behavior?

apparently, this is what is attracted to me. and people ask why i'm single. it sure beats the hell out of the alternative.

4 comments:

adam said...

but maybe he had a really nice heart! don't be shallow, andrea!

amanda said...

wow. who needs eharmony when you have this? it's like the men are just being handed to you, you lucky minx.

andrea said...

i know! to think i'd have to pay on eharmony to meet men of this caliber... i sure am lucky.

Noble Savage said...

Interesting...did he also have a heroin addiction and three illegitimate chidren? 'Cause that would've been one sweet package.