Feb 27, 2007

hodge podge o' thoughts

i've become a tad obsessed with the nbc drama "heroes" this season. there's just something about people realizing they have the power to read others' thoughts, heal almost instantly from any injury, paint images from the future, fly like a bird, become invisible at will, erase people's minds, and travel through time that kind of makes me wish i myself had some sort of super power. naturally, my first inclination is to wish i could turn water into wine. that jesus must have saved himself a bundle by being able to do that. so, at the risk of sounding like an 8 year old boy who has read a few too many super hero comics, i wonder what i would want my super power to be. would i fly? no, probably not. i like the memory-erasing thing, but that doesn't seem like a whole lot of fun. i could definitely make good use of the time travel thing or the invisibility power. hmmm.... ok, no idea why i felt compelled to blog about that. you all now know that i have a nerdy fascination with super heroes. i don't even need to tell you that i just watched x-men 3 and had a very lengthy debate with my dad about it. (at least i know whose dna passed along this delightful interest of mine)

moving along, i have to also mention something that has become a huge peeve of mine. why do people leave their cell phones on when they're at the office?!! i know, i know - sometimes you need to have it on because you're expecting a certain call or whatever and that's fine. i just get soooooo sick of hearing random phones going off all over my office all day long. and not just the normal rings, but ringtones ranging from country singers belting out their ballads to techno tones to short rendetions of broadway musicals. come on people - put them on vibrate. you won't die if you don't hear that ringtone for a full 8 hours. i promise.

last but not least, i saw a truck on my way to work this morning that was labeled "bureau of rodent control." ew. it had never crossed my mind - and really, why should it? - that there might be an entire bureau of city government committed to the control of rodents. i'm sure it makes sense, especially in a big city like chicago, but still - ew. i'd much rather work for the abandoned buildings division or the graffiti blasters department. the only one that may be worse than the bureau of rodent control is the toxic pollution control unit and that's still a bit of a toss up. if you factor in the dead animal recovery station that falls under the bureau of rodent control, i think i'd sign up for toxic pollution. (more information on the various city departments and bureaus
here.)

that's all i've got today. i'll be running around like a chicken with its head cut off this evening trying to pack and get all ready for my trip to london tomorrow night!!!! yay!!! so, if my thought process in this post seems a bit scattered and random (and useless), please forgive me - my few living and functioning brain cells are already across the big pond!

2 comments:

Noble Savage said...

My super power would have to be the ability to never sleep and never be tired. I'd get so much done! I would've never said this before having a child but since sleeping in is a thing of the past, I might as well get more use out of the hours of the day.

You'll be here, standing in my living room, in about 20.5 hours -- YAY!!!

Tankboy said...

I've noticed younger folks (folks? what am I, 90?) tend to do leave their cell phones on more than 30-somethings. I think it's tied to that whole "we must always be plugged-in" thing.