Feb 21, 2007

insert disc, rip out heart

i was driving along this morning, rifling through my cd collection in need of something i hadn't heard in a while. i ran across a blank cd with no label or writing on it. figuring it must be some sort of collection of songs i or one of my friends had put together, i popped it in, looking forward to a random mixture of fun tunes. what i got instead was a compilation of depressing songs chosen for their ability to water the eye and puncture the soul. clearly, this mix had been made when i was in the depths of despair, most likely post-breakup or following the death of a loved one. (because "never gonna fall in love again" by snow patrol and a particularly upbeat remix of "since you've been gone" by kelly clarkson made it on the disc of despair, i'm leaning toward man problems as the motivation for this mix)

some of the tracks include "look what you've done" - jet, "hallelujah" - rufus wainwright version, "cannonball" - damien rice, "the scientist" - coldplay, "eddie walker" - ben folds, "stay or leave" - dave matthews, "victim of a foolish heart" - joss stone, "la cienega just smiled" - ryan adams, and a guster/dave matthews song that i cannot remember the name of, but i love it.

there's just something about listening to songs that make you want to slit your wrists with a rusty butterknife that seems so right when you're feeling blue. excerpts from my top 3:

la cienega just smiled (ryan adams) :
"And I hold you close in the back of my mind
Feels so good but damn it makes me hurt
And I'm too scared to know to how I feel about you now
La Cienega just smiles..."see ya around"
And I hold you close in the back of my mind
And raise my glass 'cause either way I'm dead
Neither of you really help me to sleep anymore
One breaks my body and the other breaks my soul
La Cienega just smiles as it waves goodbye"
stay or leave (dave matthews):
Stay or leave
I want you not to go
But you should
It was good as good goes
Stay or leave
I want you not to go
But you did
So what to do
With the rest of the day's afternoon hey
Isn't it strange how we change
Everything we did
Did I do all that i should
That I coulda done
Remember we used to dance
And everyone wanted to be
You and me
I want to be too
What day is this
Besides the day you left me
What day is this
Besides the day you went"
cannonball (damien rice):
There's still a little bit of your taste in my mouth
There's still a little bit of you laced with my doubt
It's still a little harder to say what's going on
There's still a little bit of your ghost, your weakness
There's still a little bit of your face, I haven't kissed
You step a little closer each day
That I can't see what's going on
Stones taught me to fly
Love, it taught me to lie
Life, it taught me to die
So it's not hard to fall
When you float like a cannonball"
so feel free to share - what are your top songs that rip out your heart and force you to relive some depressing, sad event in your life? what do you pop in the cd player when you need a good cry or feel like wallowing?

6 comments:

amanda said...

oh! my favorite topic! but, um, I don't think I really need to comment on this because you've personally experienced/been tortured with my discs of despair. (sorry)

mine are the mixes from an ex...any of them will do, but if I'm feeling extra down, there's one in particular that's ALL downers (made after one of our break-ups) featuring, not only your la cienega and stay or leave, but also (brace yourself):

- "lover you should have come over" AND "last goodbye" (jeff buckley)
- "letter to elise" (the cure)
- "tell her" (del amitri)
- "wonderwall" (ryan adams' cover)

Noble Savage said...

"Hallelujah" Jeff Buckley version
"Time After Time" Eva Cassidy version
"1000 Oceans" Tori Amos
"Baby Mine" Allison Krause version
"Wild Horses" Rolling Stones

andrea said...

oh my god. the ryan adams cover of "wonderwall" and "wild horses" by rolling stones make me want to kill myself. how could i have not included those??

amanda said...

oh, and "collide" by howie day. oh! and howie's "ghost." crap, I could go on for hours...

Anonymous said...

billy corgan's version of 'landslide'.... ugh.

Chris said...

Ok, I'm gonna have to write my own blog on this now, because I've often thought, "How much could I really make someone cry after a break up if I needed to?" Let me submit suggestions for songs, then I will proved more in-depth commentary later:

Ben Folds Five: "Smoke"
Ben Folds Five: "Evaporated"
James Morrison: "The Pieces Don't Fit Anymore"
Boyz II Men: "End of the Road"
Bruce Springsteen: "You're Missing"
(SNL Live Version)
Cat Power: "Good Woman"
Coldplay: "Trouble"
Dave Matthews Band: "Space Between"
Dave Matthews Band: "I'll Back You Up"
Feist: "Let It Die"
John Mayer: "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room"
Lifehouse: "Everything"
Patty Griffin: "Rain"
Peter Gabriel: "I Grieve"
U2: "With or Without You"
Weezer: "Butterfly"