Jan 27, 2011

"i don't run unless someone is chasing me"

that was the motto i've lived by regarding running just for the sake of running.  that's not to say i don't run when needed, like while playing tennis, chasing my niece and nephew, trying to flag the only taxi in sight at 3am, etc.  but just to go out for a run and enjoy it has not been my strong suite.  well, i'm hoping to change that.  last year some friends and i talked about registering for a 5K together and i actually started training for it, only to be told by my cardiologist that i had to curb my exercise (even yoga!) until after i had a procedure done and we got my heart issues under control. 

here i am a year later and my friend gary just informed me that he signed up for the race again.  so, i bit the bullet and registered for it tonight.  hopefully having the race looming ahead and knowing i have to do it on a certain date will motivate me to get moving and start running.  i really have no excuse, as i am trying to get healthier, will be joining the local park district workout facility for the duration of these cold winter months, and the 5K literally goes right down my street and past my apartment. i admit, i'm nervous and for those of you who actually like to run and do 5Ks like it's a walk in the park, i'm sure that sounds silly, but like i said - i've never been a runner so it's going to be a learning process.  wish me luck!

5 comments:

Lucky Chance said...

I LOVE IT! I just made a committment to myself to do AT LEAST a 5K this year. I've never done one. I LIKE running, but I've just never had the motivation to do it! I've been doing the C25K for a couple weeks now and I am kicking butt!! GOOD LUCK!!!

g said...

it's going to be a great time! you'll love it!

andrea said...

gary - you might have to help keep me motivated!

gretchen - i'm going to use the c25k program, too! you should come up to chicago that weekend and do the ravenswood run with us!

stephanie said...

You know it was ACS's Active For Life that got me to start running and minus my dumb constant injury, I ended up being able to complete a half marathon!! Even if you don't LOVE the 5k, you'll be proud that you did it! GOOD LUCK!!!

Lucky Chance said...

Andrea, get me details and I'll run with you! Seriously!