Dec 26, 2010

he wants to talk about what?!

the other day over lunch, my sister and i attempted to get caught up on a recent episode of "desperate housewives" while the kids were glued to cartoons in the other room.  they had finished their lunches and were absorbed in whatever was happening on cbeebies, so we took the chance to put an episode on the computer and enjoy it while we ate.  not far into the show, my niece came sneaking in the room, wanting to be with the girls and watch mummy's tv, not cartoons.  giving in to her sweet desire to hang out with us, we let her stay and she climbed into my lap. 

not 2 minutes later a certain scene came on during which one of the male characters is arguing with his wife and says "why don't you ever talk about my penis?!" in indignation and frustration.  as soon as the words were out of his mouth, it was like slow motion - i looked over at my sister who was already looking wide-eyed at me and my niece piped up and said, "well, why would he want to talk about his penis?!" as if it were the most asinine thing in the world. 

thank god she was sitting on my lap and not facing me because i started laughing so hard, i wouldn't have wanted her to see my reaction.  it wasn't normal, amused chuckling, it was that silent, heaving laughter that makes your whole body shake, especially when you're trying not to do it.  credit to my sister for smothering her own giggles and answering rather calmly and nonchalantly, "i don't know.  that's pretty silly, isn't it?"  my niece agreed and started giggling.  at that point neither my sister nor i could contain ourselves and erupted with cackles, tears welling in our eyes.  

needless to say, the show was turned off and my niece returned to more child-friendly programming, but it sure made for a good laugh.

No comments: