Jun 3, 2006

me and my EAP

one of the benefits offered by my employer is our Employee Assistance Program. great resource for those who have used it, i'm sure. however, i have never been one of those people. not that there's anything wrong with utilizing the free counseling services, the adoption resources, or the other offerings from this program; i have just never found any of the programs highlighted in the monthly emails we get from HR to apply to my own situation.

that said, when i got this month's EAP update, i almost deleted it without reading the email. but, i happened to take a glance and this is what they're offering up for june:

Register for the June On-line Webinar on LifeCycle® Connect! This month’s webinar is Living Single in a Couples World. Whether you are single by choice or circumstance, there's a world of freedom and opportunities that is yours to embrace. This on-line seminar will give you a brief tour. The webinar takes place on June 20 from 1 pm to 2 pm EST.

me: um, maybe we should register for this....

self: maybe not.

me: it might give us some good insight or tips

self: what is wrong with you? being single for 29 years hasn't taught you enough? you need a "webinar" to help you navigate the single scene?!

me: shutup. i'm just saying it's during work hours and who knows - maybe there will be something good we can get out of it. at least it might have some entertainment value.

self: so, you're telling me that you're going to sign up for an hour long seminar on how to be single. again, because being single is soooooo new to you....

me: quiet self. i'm just saying....

self: here's the thing. this webinar is making singledom out to be an "issue." like the sessions they offer for people with marriage problems, or child behavior problems, or any other PROBLEM that people want to fix. i don't want to "fix" our singleness!! if i wanted to do that i'd just make us date the next loser we meet and pretend to be happy so at least we'd have someone to go to movies with and buy us dinner. i think this webinar is somewhat insulting.

me: well, i think i'm going to sign us up, just for kicks. it's an hour off work and at least maybe we'll get another blog post out of it.

self: have you been drinking again?

me: it's 9:30 in the morning!

self: obviously you didn't understand the question. have you been drinking?

me: shhhh!!! we are going to sign up for this webinar and we are going to learn how to navigate through this coupled world!! end of discussion.

self: well, that's just peachy. don't mind my strangled cries of misery while this hour of enlightenment is happening. oh, the despair....

2 comments:

Noble Savage said...

Hmm. I agree with Self that singledom is not really an 'issue' or 'problem' that needs to be solved, but I also agree with Me (You? -- oh dear this could be confusing) that it couldn't hurt to go and will at the very least make you roll your eyes or laugh at the sheer stupidness of the webinar. Heck, you could just write a whole entry on who the hell came up with the term webinar and why they need to die.

amanda said...

I couldn't get past "webinar"

can I sign up for this too?