Jun 29, 2006

yesterday....

ok, yes, the beatles were right - my troubles did seem so far away. however, there were a few things that did irk and trouble me. lucky for me, the majority of the day was actually pretty good. i was up at 5, after a mere 3.5 hours of sleep, on my way to the airport shortly after 6, and on a plane to london by 9. here is what i learned/saw/encountered/did throughout the course of the day:

1) paid $3.00 for a tin of mints. are you fucking kidding me?! they're mints, not gold! ugh. airports are the biggest ripoff ever.

2) saw some unfortunate woman with both a camel toe AND muffin top. as if one of those isn't bad enough, old girl had no idea she was sporting both. if i ran a fashion mag, she would so be on the back page with the big black box across her eyes to protect her identity, right under the headline "what not to wear." ga-ross.

3) ate mcdonald's for breakfast. yech. i tend to think mcdonald's food smells a bit like catfood and am not one to eat it...ever. yesterday, however, at the airport, completely jaded by my $3 mints, i succumbed to the greasy affordability of an egg & cheese bagel at mcd's. again, ga-ross. i felt my cholesterol climb 20 points after the first bite. ick. did i eat the whole thing? der.

3) was dreading my 7 hour flight sitting right in the middle of a 5 person row. in a very random and, clearly, atypical twist of my fate, i had a cute guy sitting in the seat next to me and we chatted most of the flight to london. does this EVER happen to me? um, hell no. did i get his number? um, hell no. did he ask for mine? again, hell no. bollocks.

4) realized all too late that i had forgotten my tylenol pm. because i needed to go to bed around 12:30 am or so london time (approximately 6:30 pm chicago time), this could have been an issue. bless my sister for having a bottle of red wine on hand and allowing me to gulp down some of it when i got in. slept like a baby.

5) fell madly, head-over-heels, indescribably in love with my niece. oh. my. god. could a child be more perfect?! even after waking her up in the middle of the night, she was all smiles and cuddles. we bonded immediately. me and millie's like peas and carrots. hee hee. seriously, my sis would be v. smart to double check my bags when i leave. i'm not quite sure i can leave this kid when i come back to the states....

obviously, the highlight of my day was meeting my niece finally. she is, in all honesty, too precious for words. i can't even stand it. i so want to go wake her up right now! (it's midnight. so mum and dad may be a wee bit upset) it's been a good trip thus far, as i'm just finishing my first full day. i haven't felt this happy and content in a long time. $3.00 mints, camel toes & muffin tops, boys who don't ask for my number, jet lag.... all just unimportant details. being an aunt is the best feeling i've ever had.

4 comments:

adam said...

aww! glad you're having a great time, auntie stinky! i'm so jealous of you being across the big pond right now!

i, too, will be enjoying my niece this weekend as i carry her around strapped to my chest! the gays will be SO jealous of me and my seemingly perfect family! :)

keep having fun! and keep the posts a-comin'!

Anonymous said...

awww...millie! i want to meet her too. just think, adam and i were there with you this time last year.

i'm thinkin' this aunt thing is contagious. I will be an aunt for the 3rd time in a week (ross and kate) ...well i'm almost in the family. also, lord help me, will be a great-aunt come august. yes, you heard right, that puts me at grandma status. arrrg!

have fun in london! oh how i miss london...better than hawaii...shhh don't tell nick.

Anonymous said...

Only the fear of getting fired stops me from stopping the women (and girls)at the store with muffin tops and telling them exactly how bad they look. Sorry for the run-on. It's 4am and I'm worn out!

yay for cute neices!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys had fun with baby millie. I don't have my own blog yet but your sis prob knows me better from amexpats site..have fun guys.