Jul 27, 2006

blogger etiquette and cowbells

i need input from readers and fellow bloggers about 2 things:

1) i've been reading several blogs linked on my friends' sites. there are a few i would like to comment on. i know that commenting on a really popular one, like waiterrant, which often gets over 100 comments per post wouldn't be a big deal, but what about commenting on someone's blog who you don't know when they may have only a couple of comments posted? is that weird? or rude or something? i'm just curious since i'm pretty new to this whole blogging thing.

2) what the hell does the phrase "more cowbell" mean?! i've seen this on shirts, typically worn by guys, for ever and have never known what it means. am i missing something? am i showing my age by being ignorant about what all the kids are saying these days? please help me before this stupid phrase drives me crazy!

9 comments:

Abigail B. said...

I have no idea about the cowbell thing, but as for your first question, I think commenting on blogs is fine regardless of other comments. Someone wouldn't have a blog and keep it public if they didn't want random people reading it - my opinion.

I do, however, try to leave clues as to how I came to be reading a blog the first time I comment on it, so the blogger doesn't think I'm just a random stalker.

To that end, I'm going to say: Hi! I met your sister in London, and found your blog from hers. :)

Abigail B. said...

PS. I *wish* more people would comment on my blog, I like feedback and I also like to feel like I know who's reading it :)

Anonymous said...

I too have no idea on the cowbell thing. In fact, I've never heard of it before. But that's not surprising considering where I live.

Oh the commenting...I think it's fine. They can delete it if they want to, right? With LJ, I always introduced my self and asked permission when I wanted to add someone to my friends list. For what it's worth...

Anonymous said...

i think a cowbell is kinda like a hoosier....

no one really knows for sure.

if i had to guess i would say it's something like "props" or "woo-hoo!" kinda like a redneck at a high school football game on a friday night ringing a cowbell!

adam said...

your answers...

1) sure! why not! and no need to introduce yourself as a crazy - they will already see a picture of you in a sombrero!

2) it's all i got: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_cowbell

Anonymous said...

wait... you mean that after both flip cup tourneys, you didn't know what the inspiration was for team more cowbell!?

quite possibly one of the best SNL skits EVER! if no one has provided a link to the full skit, i will find it and send it to you... i just watched it again last week!

Anonymous said...

here ya go!

http://webfeedcentral.com/2005/01/21/more-cowbell-video/

andrea said...

how did i not know that more cowbell was from SNL?! great skit! gracias to everyone for helping me crawl out from under my rock.

i think the consensus is that i can comment with abandon and make other bloggers wonder who the hell this crazy girl in the sombrero is, so thanks for the input on that, too! abigail, i will definitely check out your blog!

amanda said...

glad you found More Cowbell, I almost cried when you said you had no idea what it was. What a staple of my life.