Jul 17, 2006

did i deserve this?!

seriously, this could only happen to me. not kidding. so, i have had the most miserable cold for the past 4 days. miserable to the point that i had not even left my house since friday around 5:30 pm (yes, it is now monday and i was a tad worried that i was starting to develop rickets from lack of sunlight). lying on the couch in my pjs, blowing my nose, sneezing, coughing, wheezing, eyes watering, pale, having to sleep partially sitting up because i was so congested. you get my point. anyway, i finally decided this evening that i would venture out and get something for dinner. not wanting to walk far in the 100 degree heat index, i decided that the italian place that is pretty much across the street would do just fine. i ordered my cheese ravioli and waited the suggested 15 minutes before leaving to pick it up. in preparing to leave my house i threw on jeans, t-shirt and flip flops. my hair was slicked back in the same unwashed pony it had been in for the entire weekend. my face was completely make-up free (scary!), my puffy eyes standing out on my pale face with the trademark allergic shiners i tend to get when i'm sick. sucking on a cough drop, i left the apartment and promptly started sweating as soon as i was 3 steps into my walk down the street.

i crossed the street and headed in the direction of the italian place. literally, the entire walk, round trip, may take me 5-6 minutes. as i was stepping up onto the curb in front of the little strip that houses the restaurant i hear someone say my name. i look up quickly and am standing approximately 6 inches away from jha. now, as some of you may know, jha is a guy i know who lives in my neighborhood who i kind of hooked up with recently. he's really cute, fun, etc., but i hadn't seen him for a while. we had tried to get together before i left for london, but the plans didn't work out and so it's been a few weeks since he and i have hung out. and here he was, in the flesh. and there i was, wishing so much that i could be miss cellophane when i really needed to be. i'm telling you - there are things that have gotten caught in a drain that are much more attractive than i was this evening. we made small talk for about 30 seconds, me still looking like shit - and sweaty shit at that - and sucking on my cough drop. he was nice and gave me a hug and told me to give him a call so we could hang out. i just wanted to die. really.

i walk around this neighborhood ALL THE TIME. i am fully aware that he lives nearby and the possibility of me running into him is actually quite good. that said, has this ever happened? no. of course not. not when i'm all dressed up, either going to or coming home from work. not when i'm looking cute for going out. not when i'm looking sporty and carrying my tennis racquet down to the courts at the park. not even when i'm dressed all casual, but with makeup on at least, heading to starbucks for a morning of coffee and newspapers. no. this had to happen when i've had so much snot running down my face for the past few days that the skin around my nose is red and crusty. when my eyes are swollen and i look like i've spent the entire day crying. when i haven't bothered to wash my hair because, really, all i've done is be one with the couch. did i brush my teeth today? yes, of course i did. and if not, at least i had the cough drop. how gross and sickly could i possibly look?! ick. yuck. ewwwwww.

think we'll hook up again? um, i'm guessing not.

5 comments:

adam said...

i'll bet, as sure as the snot runs from your nose, that there will be another late-night rendez-vous!

Anonymous said...

he hugged you (albeit briefly) after all!!!

Anonymous said...

if he thinks he looks good when he's sick then he's got another thing coming...and if he doesn't give you an inch because you were sick...BAH! besides...when you're not sick - you're too cute!

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»