Jul 30, 2006

beer, sweat, and chewing gum

tonight i went out to a neighborhood festival with my fabulous friend and her wonderful bf. good bands, lots of drinks, fun times. however, because i ALWAYS have to find something to complain about, here i am.

first off, i sweat entirely too much. like, more than any average female. yes, it was super hot tonight and really humid, but as i was looking around, drenched with sweat, i saw that all of the other girls around me looked like they were barely bothered by the heat. a few had some slight perspiration around their temples, but none of them compared to me. my hair was practically soaked on the underside because it had been sticking to my sweaty neck. my forehead and upper lip were constantly perspiring. ga-ross. i felt like i should come home to my air-conditioned hole and stay here til october. how is it that i sweat in such an abnormal and disturbing manner?!! ick. yuck. and, to make matters worse, there were lots of cute guys there. one in particular was standing near me, actually right next to me at one point, and never even so much as glanced in my direction. i felt invisible. miss celophane strikes again. as if to prove my point, i nearly got knocked down several times, like i wasn't even there. the icing on the cake was when the band decided to play an old school song by the group mr. big. as i looked around while the band belted out the words, "i'm the one who wants to be with you. deep inside i hope you feel it - you feel it!! - too," i noticed just how many couples i was near as they all put their arms around each other, hugged, kissed and swayed to this declaration of eternal love. puke. but, i admit i was jealous. so, in response, i chugged my beer. and sweated some more.

we finally decided to leave and stopped by subway to grab food. after that, i took the train home and my friends decided to cab it. as i was sitting on the train, thinking about my night and my gross sweating problem, i looked down at my feet. i may as well have gone barefoot tonight. my feet were NASTY. black streaks emerged from my flip flops onto my toes and sides of my feet. my nail polish had been chipped. both feet were sticky from beer being spilled on them repeatedly as drunk people pushed their way past me into the crowd. but, by far the most disgusting thing to happen to me tonight, was realizing that there was something stuck to the top of my right foot. i reached down to wipe it off and found - to my horror - that it was chewing gum. nasty, dirty, blackened chewing gum from some stranger's mouth. again, puke. the worst part was probably the fact that i tried to brush it off with my hand and got it stuck to my palm. here i sat, on the train, trying to wipe someone else's wad of discarded gum off my foot and hand. eewwwww. yeah, i felt gross. i got some pretty disgusted looks from the girls sitting by me, but whatever. i briefly thought about launching my subway sandwich at them, just for spite, but thought twice when i realized that would result in no dinner.

all in all, i really did have a great time. i'm just reminded of my loneliness when i go out and see all of these couples, all of these skinny, pretty, non-sweaty girls, hot boys, and i'm by myself. that's not to say that i'm not physically there with friends, that's not what i mean. i mean, i'm not going home with anyone at the end of the night, i'm not there talking to guys and meeting new prospects. i'm the yucky girl chugging her beer, getting pushed aside, and ending up with chewing gum stuck to her foot. i saw myself in the mirror when i got home and i can't blame the guys out there - i looked really bad and i wouldn't have thought twice about me either. ugh.

8 comments:

Noble Savage said...

girl, you are getting a smack upside your head for this one when i get back in october. no one can make you feel invisible but yourself. i know it's hard being single and you need to vent, but seriously -- you are not invisible and you are not gross.

the biggest problem facing you is the fact that you were at an event where people actually danced to a Mr Big song. now THAT is a problem...

andrea said...

comment from self:

ok, ok, maybe we were being a little hard on ourselves. a tad tipsy and totally wallowing in self-pity is probably not the best time to blog. that said, the sweating thing and the chewing gum - still gross.

Anonymous said...

you think YOU sweat a lot!? do you really want to have a sweating contest!?!? i will prove you wrong in thinking you are sweatier than most girls... i take the sweaty title, hands down. have you not ever seen my face (nose and upper lip in particular) in this weather!? and let me tell you... my back & beneath my boobs is like a leaky faucet in the heat.

the gum thing though... yeah, that's andrea kind of luck there.

hee hee... shape up! most of those 'couples' were probably just hooking up for the night anyway!

andrea said...

i may have to challenge you to a sweating duel at lollapalooza this weekend! sweaty she-ra v. chafing cheetarah. hooo!!!

amanda said...

I'm going to need to join in on the "Sweat-Off" this weekend. I will kill you all. I'm disgusting. And single. Coincidence? I think not.

Dude, don't go to things 3rd wheel, it doesn't help when surrounded by couples. make sure another sweet ass singleton is with you. Call me! Seriously.

How about on Sunday morning, my roommate and her boyfriend invited the newly married couple from upstairs down for brunch. So there I was, the 5th wheel, with two couples enjoying their eggs and coffee holding hands under the table.

andrea said...

in that case, you should have called me! we could have met for mimosas and talked about our exciting saturday nights staying in, on the couch, watching movies...alone.

Anonymous said...

hee hee... quite a challenge we have here! if only there was a way to measure the sweat that leaks from my cleavage & underneath the boobs... i could fill a small pool with it, i'm sure!

oh, and you should have seen me after hitting balls on the driving range saturday afternoon in 90+ degree heat! foul, i tell you!

Anonymous said...

If I could be up there Saturday - I guarantee you I would win the sweat off - Hands down!!!!

I walked to the bus stop this morning (which isn't far) & as i sat with the humid breeze blowing on my wet brow I felt sweat drip down my spine - i looked down to notice a spot on the front of my shirt where the sweat had collected in my belly button. I couldn't bare the thought of lifting my arm to check out the heavy D's.

I should re-name myself Sweaty P!

OH - BTW! GURL! A boy is not going to diss you b/c you're sweaty - B/C you're HOTT! & I promise - any guy there is going to be sweatier & nastier than you are. YOU ARE FABULOUS - not matter how sweaty.